Monday, April 10, 2006 : 3:36 PM

It is not good for man to be alone

A month or so ago, I heard someone point out that this "not good" comment of God's came on the heels of a string of "it is good" comments.

Some of you understand my response as a single: "Hey, I'm well aware of the pains of being single. This doesn't help. Don't rub it in."

But I had also been reminded recently that God knows what he's doing, that God works out everything for my good (whether it's something I'll have a clue about in this lifetime or not).

I've got to believe, then, that that means that there is a greater good in God's plan of my still being single and wrestling with what I wrestle with. The "curse of the 'not good' comment" is outweighed by the good of God's love and wisdom of what he is working out in me, whether for my sake or others' or both.

The person who started this topic also talked about Adolph Coors, Jr. (yep, the beer connection) whose father was murdered. Jr. talks now about how that horrible event was something God used in Jr.'s life to address his hard heart of unforgiveness.

With significant resistance but knowing it's best, I've got to say, "Ok, God, keep it up. You know what you're doing. And you love me."

Comments

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The paradox:

"It is not good for the man to be alone." Yet Adam wasn't alone, was he? Wasn't Adam intimately close with God? Was the presence of God Hmself not enough while in the Garden? The presence of God was insufficient for the well being of Adam?

Adam groaned "At last! Blood of my blood, bone of my bone!

4:39 PM, June 15, 2011  
Blogger John said...

Good observation.

My take is that it is male PLUS female that is a better representation of (a better image of or illustration of) (1) the interrelationship that God enjoys within himself and (2) broader aspects of God. With that view, I'd say Adam stood out as quite the incomplete representation of or God and Eve was part of rounding out that representation. Plus, Adam then benefitted from an additional relationship to enjoy besides just his relationship with God.

4:46 PM, June 15, 2011